Well-balanced diet and lots of exercises is a killer combination for losing fat and transforming physique. But more allies are waiting just around the corner to help you boost metabolism and burn more calories with ease.
High protein diet
Proteins make you feel full so you don’t want to eat more. But they can also increase thermogenesis. Thermogenesis is the process of heat production in organisms where calories are burned in order to keep the right body temperature. Another study showed that metabolic responses and resting energy expenditure (REE) changed favorably in groups with higher protein intake (1.2 g per kg compared to 0.8 g per kg).
Use the benefits of EGCG (Epigallocatechin gallate)
EGCG is an antioxidant (read more about them, 3 min read) which boost metabolism according to studies. It can be found mainly in green tea, white tea and (a little bit) in black tea. Other sources are apple skin, plums, onions, hazelnuts and pecans.
Drink water often
There’s been a research that showed that
Drinking 500 ml of water increased metabolic rate by 30%. The increase occurred within 10 min and reached a maximum after 30–40 min.
Also it has been proven that cooling water before drinking stimulates thermogenic response. The first study estimates that thermogenic response after drinking 500 ml of water is about 100 kJ (that is around 23 kcal).
Do the right training
To burn more calories do HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) which is basically a method of training where you have short periods of really intense exercise alternated with periods of resting or low intensity exercise. The increased metabolism lasts for many hours after the training according to study here and here. The former study also showed benefits in case of resistance training. So lifting heavy weights can increase your metabolism and additionally more muscles burn more calories.
Stand up more
Consider a standing desk for work if possible and swap sitting for standing as standing can burn more calories than sitting. How much can you get? The study published in the European Journal of Preventive Cardiology claims that standing burns 0.15 kcal per minute more than sitting. It may not sound impressive but in this case you should rather concentrate on long-term effect. For instance, two hours of standing per day will make you lose about 1 kg per year.
Chew food thoroughly
When you chew food thoroughly you can enjoy its taste more and digestion is easier. Additionally, your body burns more calories during the digestion according to this research. As a rule of thumb you should chew food 30–40 times per bite. People who eat slow tend too eat less.
- The effects of high protein diets on thermogenesis, satiety and weight loss
- Normal protein intake is required for body weight loss and weight maintenance
- USDA Database for the Flavonoid Content of Selected Foods
- Effects of green tea and EGCG on cardiovascular and metabolic health
- Water-induced thermogenesis reconsidered
- Water-Induced Thermogenesis
- High-Intensity Interval Resistance Training (HIRT) influences resting energy expenditure
- Two minutes of sprint-interval exercise elicits 24-hr oxygen consumption
- Body-size dependence of resting energy expenditure can be attributed to nonenergetic homogeneity of fat-free mass
- Differences of energy expenditure while sitting versus standing
- Improvement in chewing activity reduces energy intake in one meal